>
YAMAHA
STRINGS
SS-30
RACK-MOUNTED WITH MIDI
MIDI STRINGS

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

2018 - Wrapping up?

2018 Summer-y 

 Once again the end of summer has come around far too soon. I can't complain about the summer we've had this year. Three months of solid warm weather meant I was able to make huge strides forward on SS-30M. It's never enough for me though. I want to finish. On the other hand, I don't want to rush and make a bad job of it.

Technically, summer's not over yet but I know there's limited time remaining and I won't be spending as much of it on eth SS-30M as I would ideally like. I also have other projects waiting for attention. There's the Hex inverter 808 Toms clone Eurorack module that was dropped back in April. I have Eurorack kit clone of the Pearl Syncussion coming soon. And I also started an 808 cowbell module of my own design. I might even record some music. I recently acquired a Yamaha Reface CS which I want to explore, not to mention a whole load of other gear that has sat idle for far too long. 

Temporary Front-panel #2

Does that mean the SS-30M will sit in the garage for another 8 months or more until I can get around to carrying it on? Maybe not.  I could wire up a temporary front-panel and use the SS30 in the meantime!

Ah, but what front panel? I have the old wooden mock-up one I have laser cut in 2015, but that doesn't match the latest design. I also have a design which I could get made by Schaeffer, but it will need a lot of work and that's better done in the winter. I could get another cheaper laser cut of course. There's another option though - make my own. And now I have a pillar drill that would be a lot easier...


Oh, yes, I got a pillar drill.


I have two stipulations for myself :
1. It must have labels for the controls.
2. Don't get bogged down with sub-panels.

 Fair enough, so wood or metal? I think metal this time. If I actually want to rack mount it, that's the best option.

Vero Panel


I had been fretting about the dimensions of the front panel's fixings because I didn't have a datasheet for the case and wasn't sure if I could get one. It turns out that the APW case I bought back in 2005 is still available from Verotech. They must have bought out APW or something. Anyway, the data-sheet doesn't actually tell you the dimensions for the fixing holes. There are only dimensions specified for the handles designed to fit into the holes. Ugh. I will have to write to them and get that info. 
The other thing I realised was that you can still buy all the accessories for the case. For example, the tray that fits into the base. I might come back to that! Farnell sells the front-panels and that's what I need. It would fit perfectly, so that is one less problem. In the end, this is a no-brainer, as anything else would cost the same (or more) to buy and have cut.
So, I just went ahead and bought one.

The only problem is that I really would like to have slots for the sliders. I'm not sure how to do that cut yet.  It will probably be a bit of a bodge, (drill then saw) unless I can think of a way to pretty them up.

Varnishing Act

With the panel bought, now I have to decide on labels. Actually I have two problems with marking the panel. The labels, of course, but also marking it up for drilling. That got me thinking. 
Ideally, I would print onto the panel and use the print for labels and to mark out where the holes should go. Wouldn't that be great?
Of course, I can't print onto the panel, but there is a way. Sort of.
I'd looked before at the Lazertran decal process for inkjet printers and also toner transfer methods for making PCBs. Searching again threw up a different method. In fact several methods for transferring from a standard laser print to paper to just about anything flat.

I was most impressed by this video.



I've bought some varnish and I'm going to try this out on a spare aluminium panel I have.

If it works, I can create a decent print which will provide guides for drilling and excellent labels in the exact font and design I intend to use for the real one later. 




No comments :