>
YAMAHA
STRINGS
SS-30
RACK-MOUNTED WITH MIDI
MIDI STRINGS

Monday, June 04, 2018

Screen Printing

Joy unconfined! I have found a screen printer in the UK who can give me the front-panel of my dreams.

Screen Dreams

Last week I was on holiday and, with time to think, I once again returned to my desire to have a really great looking front-panel. It was the one thing my mind kept returning to as being unsatisfied by my current plans. Well, that and the fader knobs, but mostly the quality of the printing. As an inveterate Googler I started to scratch away at the itch.

I started by looking around at how screen-printing is done. The process is well documented, but to do it to a high degree of precision is not what you tend to find Instructables for. People do this for DIY synthesizers, but it's not for the faint of heart. Clearly, for a one-off job, I don't want to invest the time or resources in doing this. Let alone doing it perfectly. Once only being a tall order for any kind of skill. Yes, I might do more projects but this isn't a skill I savour the opportunity to learn. The opinion also seems to be that, whilst this is a process which you want to have done for you, it is difficult to find someone and is likely expensive.
However, as I said, I have found someone And quite easily, and for a cost which is reasonable. When I saw the comments about cost I wanted to know how much. Would it really be too much? I Googled 'screen printing one-off metal UK'. and the first result was http://www.21stcenturyscreenprinters.co.uk/.

Clicking on their Metalwork link brought up some (rather grainy) photos of synthesizer panels! There was a link to see more photos and I quickly clicked through to a wonderful sight (and site). Customsynth. https://www.flickr.com/photos/customsynth/

Another Satisfying Custom Synth

The Flickr photostream is rather lovely - lingering over tons of desirable gear is a difficult habit to give up, but lacks a bit of context. Another search led me to this Music Radar interview with the man responsible - Jeff Toman. And also this I Heart Synths interview too. If you need a major renovation or custom look for a world tour, Jeff is your man!

One of the most interesting examples, for me, is this Yamaha CS-30L https://www.flickr.com/photos/customsynth/albums/72157626458930565/with/5742061577/


DSCF3990

This is a synth that is normally in black, of course, but it has the same knobs I'm using and you can see the great care that has gone into getting the graphics just right. Just as I intend to!

Print Screen

Back to 21st Century Screen Printers

"21st Century Screen Printers have specially adapted printing machine specifically for printing directly onto metal plates and fascias. We can also print directly onto chassis sections of any height and angle."
Jeff mentions that they used to do the panels for the Joe Meek branded studio gear. So, it's professional grade stuff!

I have been in touch and, as I said, the price is well within budget, so my plan is to get the panel cut and coated by Schaeffer and then printed by 21st Century. I just need a design now...

No comments :